18 August 2009

The big day

He did it! Dominick successfully attended his first day of kindergarten. Mike worked from home today so that he could join us on that first walk to school. Our neighbor/goat lady/crossing guard guided us across the street safely. May I say how extremely lovely it is to live half a block from school? I had the same luxury growing up, although not until first grade. I rode a bus to kindergarten. But I digress.

The building and grounds were somewhat chaotic, but Dom picked his way through the crowd and led us to his classroom, showing Mike his star on the door. (We had visited the school yesterday after receiving a call on Friday saying that Dom's immunization records were not up to date. I had the doctor's office fax said records in July and confirmed with the school secretary two weeks ago that they had been received. Oh well. While there, Dom found his name on the classroom door and got further acquainted with his room and teacher, who was there setting up. He even helped by placing colored folders in the appropriate baskets. I loved how chatty he was with Mrs. C. And just like that, I've digressed again!)

So anyway, we got inside, and all was well until Dominick wanted us to stay, so I gave a quick goodbye and left him drawing at the table. Neither of us cried, which is quite a miracle. At pick-up time, the parents waited outside the main entrance, and the principal--great guy--came out to greet us and gave our kids a thumbs up. Shortly thereafter, the doors opened, and the morning kindergarten class emerged. Dominick was first (how nice it must be to be an A in school!) and came running to me. He was in great spirits. Later, he said that he'd had a "really good" time at school. Bring on day 2!




1 comment:

Gram said...

Great pictures of a great day! Wish I could have been there. But at least I got to talk to our big guy on his big day.