15 September 2008

Rant on behalf of my innocent child

This morning, after dropping off Dominick at school, Noel and I went to Aldi. He and Dom both are obsessed with bumps, be they railroad crossings, curbs, thresholds, or whatever. Aldi's tile flooring has metal seams between large sections. They're not very bumpy, really, but bumpy enough. So Noel was riding in the shopping cart, repeatedly saying "bump." As we approached the bread section, he was still saying it, but not too loud and definitely not throwing a fit. An elderly woman came over to get some bread, I guess, and Noel said "bump" to her. She said to him, "Are you talking to me in that voice?" and gave him a long, withering look before turning away. There was so much wrong with that I don't even know where to begin! Maybe I shouldn't, on second thought. I'll just leave it at that. As I said so eloquently on Facebook, grrrr!

Speaking of Noel speaking, he's really starting to put words together, two to three at a time. Sometimes it sounds like more words, though longer efforts are usually unintelligible. I'm sure they mean something to Noel. He says "please" a lot, which is lovely. We had a cute little exchange yesterday: I was changing him and singing "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik" to keep him still. The second I took a break, he said, "Again. Song, please." So I continued, but a second later he held up his hand to me and said, "Dop! Dop!" You know, as in "dop sign." Funny.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if I told you, but one of the cashiers at Safeway made me so mad the way he spoke to Lucas, who was just standing next to me playing with his fingers... completely ruined my whole day. Needless to say... I look to see which line he's at and avoid it like the plague!

-Heather

Kelly said...

I don't get people like that who go out of their way to be hateful to small children, especially when they're not causing problems for anybody. If you can't say anything nice...