28 April 2009

Dom's first dental checkup

Yes, I know...Dominick is five and should have been to the dentist long ago. Bad me. I put it off forever, telling myself it was because of insurance questions when the real reason was that I dreaded it. Given Dom's refusal to let the dentist (our dentist) see his mouth after he knocked his tooth out last spring, I didn't have high hopes, but the boy surprised me: he did great! He went back (without me) willingly and cooperated marvelously through x-rays and all, though he said he kept closing his mouth during the cleaning portion. There were no tears, no fighting, nothing. At the end he got to pick out a toothbrush, a prize and three stickers. You can imagine his joy to discover that Lightning McQueen was one of the toothbrush choices. (Of course, now Noel wants one, too.) Also, he got a sticker and photograph for his book, mailed to him prior to the appointment. Here's the picture. He's looking pretty tough in it.

I made good on my end of the bargain and took Dom to the dollar store for a treat after we were finished. He picked what might have been the worst possible item in the store: a four-pack of whistles. What?!? I blame my five-day-and-counting headache for preventing me from thinking clearly enough to veto that decision. Maybe I can barter with him for something else.

3 comments:

mom said...

Definitely a red letter day! I'm so proud of him for being so mature about the experience. Many adults aren't even that mature about it! Yep, what were you thinking with the whistle purchase? Oh, well. A 4-pack from the dollar store will probably get broken quickly. ("I'm sorry, Dom! I broke your whistle--that's what happens when you leave things on the floor.")

Anonymous said...

What a great mom for letting him go back by himself. I have twenty-year-old patients who want their mom to come back and hold their hand while I exam their teeth. It makes the appointment so much harder for me and everyone. Happy for the success!

Richie Poe

Kelly said...

At this place, kids over three go back by themselves. When Dom goes back November 20, Noel will go with him for *his* first appointment, as he'll be three by then. I get to relax in the waiting room!

I guess I could "accidentally" break Dom's whistle, but do you think he'd be suspicious if I broke all four?