09 December 2007

The Nutcracker

Dominick and I went to see The Nutcracker on Ice today. Ever since he became obsessed with listening to the music this summer, I had promised to take him. This particular production was close, cheap and tailored to kids (i.e. abridged and narrated), so it was perfect. The show began with a synchronized skating group, which happened to be performing "Love" from Cirque du Soleil. I certainly was not expecting to hear Beatles music there, but you know I liked it! Then the real show started. Dom was fascinated by the skaters...for the first few minutes. By 5:23, he started wriggling away and said, "Is The Nutcracker done yet?" I was worried things would get ugly, but he behaved for the rest of the performance. Thank goodness for Santa's appearance after the curtain call, which was noted in the program. That was the key to keeping Dom around for the entire show. We had a good time. Performancewise, it wasn't the best Nutcracker experience of my life (that would be the Pennsylvania Ballet at the Academy of Music in Philadelphia--what a gorgeous place), but it was wonderful taking Dominick, something I'd wanted to do since he was a baby.

No comments: