23 July 2008

Closet reader?

Driving north on 270 on our way to playgroup today, we passed the Highway 40 interchange. Dominick pointed to a sign and said, "Do you know what that sign says? It says the road is closed." Sure enough, as anyone living in St. Louis knows, the road is indeed closed. So...did Dom read it? When I asked him, he said yes and giggled proudly, just as he had a couple of weeks ago when he told me he had "readed" part of a book. Now, if he'd seen a stop sign, that would have been different, but "closed" is not something Dom sees on a sign every day. I'd love to think that he's beginning to read, especially since he has resisted efforts on our part to sound out words. Quite often lately I find him sitting quietly with a book. He and Noel both love to read, which is so lovely. Dominick just completed the library's summer reading program by reading 50 books. I took him to pick up his prizes on Sunday. He was most excited.

I have to mention something funny Dominick said yesterday at dinner: "I'm stirring it up so it bes a lot gooder." I'll let him get away with that for now because he's four and it's cute.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shoot, that's standard African American English. He can fit right in down in the hood!

Pop