15 July 2008

Homegrown goodies

I'm going to try a little experiment with what's left of the summer. For the first time ever, I bought some vegetable plants: a bell pepper and a tomato. (Yes, of course, the tomato is a fruit.) The beautiful part is that they cost me a total of 94 cents, including tax, so if I kill them, oh well. But if I don't, yum! My new friends will have to go in a planter on the patio for now, but that's probably the safest place for them, given the abundance of little bunnies in our neighborhood. What to do about the boys, though? "Mama, look what I picked!" Fried green tomatoes, anyone?

Update: Dom and I went out to plant the goodies just now. He was excited to see and hold the plants in the bag. In his excitement, the pepper was knocked off. It was an accident, but still...Not only that, but we don't have enough potting soil, so I'm waiting for Mike to get home. There's a full bag of something garden-y in his trunk that's been there for months. Fingers crossed that it's potting soil.

Dom with the plants before the pepper fell off

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny! I was going to do the same thing--try some late tomatoes. But when I tried to find some at the store, the only ones they had were so sorry they weren't worth the $2.50 they were asking. Looks like you got a bargain. Good luck!

Kelly said...

Maybe I should get some more veggie plants. All they had were tomatoes and various peppers (habanero, jalapeno, banana, etc.), though. I was looking for basil, too, but no such luck.

ssouth said...

We have gobs of basil. Hopefully I can remember to bring you some next time I see you. I bet I could even start a pot for you, from what we have.

Kelly said...

I would love that!!! Thanks, Jenny.