25 September 2007

How we all fared last week

As it is now the following Tuesday, I think I can say that we (I) survived without Mike last week. Thank goodness for preschool! Dom gave me some problems, but nothing insurmountable. The best one was when he whacked me on the head with his beloved sprinkler while I was talking on the phone. That's what I get for not paying attention to him, right? I keep telling myself, "He's only three." It's my new mantra.

While Mike was gone, Noel got a new tooth and started cruising. He's constantly on the move. Diapering has become nearly impossible, especially when I am dealing with as many as 12 snaps, depending on which diapers and clothes Noel's wearing. Baths now require both me and Mike, one to hold the baby and the other to wash him.

Now that Mike is back home, we've been hard at work on the basement. We're ready to be finished. I'd love to have our nights and weekends back. Next Tuesday the carpet will be installed, so we're trying to get ready for that. For obvious reasons, we want to have all the messy work done first.

I had a dream the other night that we bought a new house (but old, of course). The small, dark dining room had several layers of resilient flooring underneath ratty carpet, so that floor and the rest of the hardwood needed to be refinished. The floorplan was awkward. The basement was a warren of spaces with a very low ceiling, not suitable for finishing. I was terribly upset that we'd rushed into this purchase when we'd just refinished the hardwood floors and fixed up the basement here. And then I woke up screaming. Not really, but it wasn't exactly a sweet dream.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Crazy dream. Here's another. Last night I dreamed that y'all adopted a baby girl. As if you don't have your hands full enough NOW! Your house is going to be so amazing that you'll never want to leave it.

Anonymous said...

I am writing this on September 30, wishing you a Happy Birthday, Kelly, our first-born, you who are now 33 years old. And I remember you in your crib in Denton....

Find some time to celebrate!

Kelly said...

Thanks! I did get to stop painting and polyurethaning--if that's not a verb, it is now--long enough to go out for lunch. After the work slows down here I can take some real time for myself.

Hmmm, Mom, I don't know about that. If we had another kid, we'd have to move, and after all this work, we're not planning on doing that for a long time.