24 October 2008

Friday night at the Y

Halloween festivities began for us tonight with the Y's annual party. The boys donned their tree costumes (Dominick was an apple tree; Noel was a sassafras) before we headed up to Brentwood. Well, I should say that Dominick got dressed except for his tree shirt, which had plastic apples on the back and could not be worn comfortably in the car.

The Y was a madhouse, yet some intrepid souls dared to work out in the midst of it. The gym held several activities, such as cookie decorating, tattoos, games, and a huge inflatable slide. After a costume parade around the track, the kids lined up in the gym for the costume contest, judged by Thing 1 and Thing 2. The first award was for Most Original Costume, and the winner was...drumroll...the apple tree! Woo hoo! We estimated there were about 150 kids, so I was pretty excited to have won a prize. Of course, as the ribbon was presented, one of the apples fell off. We lost a few leaves, too, so I'll have to do some repair before the next Halloween event. Darn that cheap felt.

The finale tonight was a pumpkin rescue in the pool. Dominick wasn't grabbing any pumpkins, so I fished one out from the side of the pool as the canoe went by and gave it to him, but he promptly threw it back into the water on the opposite side of the boat. I did manage to snag another to bring home.

So it was a fun evening, more than worth the $5 admission. I hope the late bedtime (9:00) translates into at least a 7:00 am wake-up for the boys, but I'm not holding my breath. I should also mention that I have been a Y member for a year now, and I'm still actually going! That's something of a miracle for me.

2 comments:

ssouth said...

Wow! Those costumes turned out beautifully! Congratulations on the win! I wish we had gone now. Maybe next year.

Anonymous said...

Yes, congratulations! That's awesome. Our Ent costumes won't be nearly as classy as your trees. I'm just buying leaf garlands to put around our wrists, necks, and heads. I need to work on that today, since we make our debut Monday night.b