14 October 2008

Girls and boys

This morning was my spinning class, so after dropping off Dominick at school, Noel and I headed to the Y. He stays in the nursery while I work out. It's a beautiful thing. When I returned after spinning, Noel was just about to start his snack, so to avoid a meltdown, I let him eat it there before we left. He took his goldfish and cup into a play gazebo, and I squeezed in with him. A couple of girls nearby were playing with some My Little Ponies, which they brought over to the gazebo. They wanted me to take care of the ponies, and I thought, "Awww, aren't girls so caring and nurturing when they play." Then one of the girls said, "Don't touch the blood!" Apparently, the poor ponies had fallen and were bleeding from their eyes; the girls wanted me to give them shots to feel better. It was very enlightening, although in retrospect I shouldn't be surprised that girls can be a bit morbid in their play. I was one, after all.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even Clara gets a little morbid at times... her fairy friend will sometimes die, but then after a few seconds will re-emerge alive and well. The interesting thing is always how she died, it's different each time. Where does she come up with this stuff?

Heather

Kelly said...

Maybe it's in her genes. Her mom did play morbid Scrabble, you know! How has the fairy died?

Anonymous said...

I want to hear about morbid scrabble!

Kelly said...

You know, it's just like regular Scrabble, except you have to use morbid words (die, hearse, autopsy, etc.) as much as possible. There is a picture of one of our games floating around somewhere.

Anonymous said...

Let's see... her fairy has been crushed under boxes, hit by a car, eaten by a plant!, suffocated, bled to death... the list goes on. Sometimes, she just dies without any reason.

I think I have one of those pics of our morbid scrabble game... I should scan it in and send it to you. Let's see if we can get that scanner working again!