19 October 2008

Noel's second visit to the ER

Just a quick one to pass along what happened this evening. During his usual post-bath naked run around the house, Noel slipped and fell, hitting his head on a rectangular piece of coal from the Thomas set. It left a fairly small but deep (to me, anyway) gash in his forehead, so I took him to the emergency room while Mike stayed home with Dominick. (That was kind of funny, actually: Dom wanted to go, too, so he started putting his shoes on, though he was still naked from his bath.) The doctors initially hoped we could get by with tissue glue, but once the wound was cleaned, they saw that it would require sutures. Poor little guy. I was so proud of him. He was great on the way to the hospital, in the waiting room, where he played with Thomas, and in the treatment room. He slept in my arms for a good portion of that time. He didn't love the stitching part so much, mostly because he was being held down. He kept screaming, "Done! Done!" Two stitches and some glue later, we were. Now Noel's at home asleep, and I hope he sleeps well tonight.

Update: Noel slept until 7:20 this morning (late for him) and has been acting normally since he got up. His forehead doesn't look too bad, considering. Luckily, both the glue and stitches will dissolve on their own, so there's nothing more we need to do, other than watch for signs of infection, which are rare in injuries like this. The doctor expects it to heal beautifully and leave a small scar. Maybe it will heal as well as Noel's finger. That scar is almost imperceptible. Amazing.

Noel this morning, and the culprit

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Noel!

Anonymous said...

And poor Kelly! Will you survive motherhood intact?

Kelly said...

I'm beginning to wonder. It's been a dramatic year. Let's hope 2009 is accident-free.

ssouth said...

Those troublesome trucks, leaving their coal anywhere they please. Sir Toppam Hatt really should put them in their place! I hope Noel heals quickly!

Brandi said...

Poor guy. Be thankful for the stitches though. When John hit his head on the fireplace the doc thought they could get away with glue and some steri strips. Well, it didn't hold all the way together, got infected, and now he has quite a scar on his face. I wish I would have gone with my gut and told the doctor we wanted stitches.

Kelly said...

I knew John had had a similar accident but couldn't remember the details, except for the tissue glue. I'm so sorry it turned out the way it did, but I have to say I've never noticed the scar, either in person or in pictures.