07 March 2008

Hooray for Dominick!

In preparation for Saturday morning's swimming lesson, Mike took Dominick to the pool at the Y last night while I was at spinning. The plan was to coax him into the pool for 20-30 minutes before caving and letting him out. So you can imagine my surprise when I came out of my class 45 minutes later and saw Mike waving to me from the shallow end of the pool. I joined them and found Dom happily splashing and floating around on a noodle. He was having a blast and didn't want to leave. How about that?!? Let's *hope* that now he will be more receptive to his lessons. You can never tell.

For anyone who doesn't know, Mike and I are big American Idol fans. Our tastes in TV are pretty divergent (sports versus design and cooking shows), so this is one show we can watch together on a regular basis. (I think he's a closet What Not to Wear fan, but he'd never admit it.) Anyway, I was sad to see Asia'h Epperson go, simply because she is from Joplin. So much for that Idol viewing party in a couple of weeks! I liked her well enough, but the guys are more interesting to me this year. With Asia'h gone, I'm rooting for our other Missourian, David Cook, as well as Jason Castro and Michael Johns. I have to admit I liked Danny Noriega, too, because he was full of attitude. He was to American Idol what Christian Siriano was to Project Runway, minus the extreme talent.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Sometimes I thought Christian and Danny were in fact the same person! However I was happy to see Danny go, and glad Chikezie (sp?) stayed. And Brooke White's cover of Pat Benatar was the best I've heard all season!

Kelly said...

Ah, another fan! I liked Brooke, too. Her Pat Benatar cover and David's "Hello" were my favorites from 80s week. I'm not sure how I feel about the Lennon-McCartney catalog being released. At least Jason what's-his-name is gone so we're spared his butchering.

Good to hear from you, by the way! Maybe you'll be back in town soon???

Anonymous said...

Oh, my! I hadn't realized the Christian/Danny connection. You guys are right! I knew I didn't like Danny--probably for the same reason that I didn't like Christian at first. But after a while, Christian's attitude became charming. So perhaps that would have happened if Danny had gotten to stay on. I just didn't think he could sing that well. Certainly not as well as Luke--I hated to see him go.

Anonymous said...

p.s. I'm so glad Dom found out that it's fun to play in the pool. Will be anxious to hear how lessons go tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

OK, I have to admit I sat down from time to time with Mom to watch "Project Runway," and Christian grew on even me. I came to enjoy watching and listening to him, if you can believe that. I think he's fierce!

I too am sorry Asia'h was voted off. But I am not sure that once "Dancing with the Stars" starts up again we can afford all the watching of AI & DWTS, and now there's a new show on Fox, "New Amsterdam," that we are going to have to watch. Good thing, though: looks like we will drop "My Name is Earl" from our list of must-watches. We were losing interest before the strike, anyway.

Cheers to Dom! Kudos to Mike for coaxing him out to the water.

Kelly said...

Mom and Dad, you need a DVR. Of course, I must recommend U-verse! You can't start watching Idol and stop at the finals. That's not right.

I'll miss Project Runway. Christian was entertaining, so I hope we'll see more of him. I liked that, even through the confidence, you could tell he was nervous at the finale and genuinely surprised and happy that he won the audience favorite vote. At least I'll have less must-see TV from here on. With Idol's two-hour shows (now thankfully reduced to one) and PR, I was feeling a bit guilty for spending so much time in front of the TV. Time to get back to work on neglected projects around the house.