17 March 2008

Noel's visit to the orthopedic surgeon

I came away from Noel's appointment today without any answers about the fate of his fingertip. The doctor called us back and talked to us for a couple of minutes. Then the nurse came in, gave me a bowl of saline solution and left me to remove Noel's dressing. Once I got most of it off, I was supposed to soak his hand to soften anything still stuck to the wound. Try doing that with a screaming, thrashing toddler! Ultimately, the last bit of dressing stayed on, so the nurse wrapped him up again (no splint, though, just bandages). The doctor gave us instructions to soak the hand twice a day in soapy water until the gauze comes off. We'll go back Thursday if there's something to see. He said that Noel's finger looks good in that there's no sign of infection, but that the skin might be dark. We just couldn't tell. The good news is that Noel can stop taking the antibiotic now. He'll be thrilled.

I've started scouring the Internet for some sort of device to prevent this from happening again. Apparently, the British are much more interested in protecting little fingers from amputation by door than we are. I did find some finger guards, just not many that are suitable for exterior doors. If anybody has experience or recommendations with these, please let me know.

No comments: