29 April 2008

In loving memory

My beloved sassafras tree came down today. It had been dead for about a year and a half, but I was giving it one more chance to show some leaves before we did anything. Not only were there no leaves, but the branches were brittle and brown inside. I started breaking off big ones this afternoon and asked Mike to go for the chainsaw when he got home. He made short work of it.
Here is a picture of the tree several years ago in its glorious, fiery fall color. I'm sure it would rather be remembered this way.
All may not be lost, however: three sassafras babies are growing near the base of the old tree. Funny how they didn't show up until last year when the tree was already dead. Why is that, I wonder?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How very sad. I'd forgotten how beautiful that tree was. Sure hope the babies will make it.