04 April 2007

Noel's first haircut

He's not quite five months old, so it seems early for a haircut, but Noel's hair was getting so long, something had to be done. Where original baby hair remained on the sides, it was already past his ears; the front is in his eyes; and the back has gotten twisted and matted into balls. I just cleaned up the sides a little bit. I didn't want to risk butchering the front, but it can just be brushed to the side. It'll probably fall out soon anyway, along with the rest of the baby hair. Unfortunately, I had Noel on a black towel, which was not the best idea for photographing this momentous event. I didn't want to get hair all over the towel he would need for his bath right after. Oh well.

I was just telling a friend yesterday that Dominick had been behaving very well at PDO and that I'd never heard of any problems. So today, of course, the teacher told me she'd given him a time out for hitting another boy. She followed this by saying that she calls him her "gentle giant" because he's so much bigger than the other kids and so sweet. Whew! Apparently, today's assault was an isolated incident.

Here are today's Dominisms:
"plug it out" [Pretty clever, actually. What else would be the opposite of plugging in? The next one is in a similar vein.]
"tie it out"
"I'm going to sit on the Boppy. I'm going to feed baby Noel. Oh, I can't feed baby Noel. I doesn't have boo-boos on me."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the new Dominisms. The first one IS clever--I think I'll start using that one. The last one is hilarious! Too bad the Dominator is bashing little kids, though. Enjoyed the photos of Noel's haircut.

Anonymous said...

As a linguistics professor and teacher of language acquisition of children, I find all this fascinating. I feel I can explain the 'muck' for milk as simply his inability to say the 'l' before 'k' at this point. You might hear something like 'fust' for 'first' too, as well as 'tahk' for 'talk'. Not to worry about 'r' & 'l'.

The additional syllables in 'hamburger' and 'rectangle' sound like repeated syllables. I should have been following his progress all along. I probably could have had a publishable paper!

I love to hear children learn their first language.

Kelly said...

Something else he's doing is adding a hard consonant in words with an L sound, like "waddle" for yellow and "pidle" for pile. It took me a while to realize what he meant when we were driving and he'd exclaim "flashing waddle!"